- Provide a rigorous, balanced education where all students can reach their full potential
- Recruit and retain high quality staff
- Involve families and the community; maintain a collaborative environment
- Be good stewards of public funds; allocate funds strategically
USD 348 Board Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
Racism and discrimination are not new problems in America, or in our schools. For decades, USD #348 has had policies in place that are aimed at inclusivity, diversity and acceptance. Over the past year, as it again became clear that the struggle in our country is far from over, the Baldwin City school board decided that it was time to revisit our own efforts. During the summer of 2020, the board voted to form a committee-comprised of board members and district administrators- to confront these issues, and to study ways to bring our commitment to equal opportunity and treatment for all closer to reality. While that process is still underway, the board believes that a progress report is appropriate.
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee began its work by discussing a broad range of topics connected to maintaining a culture of equity in our district. In recent months, the committee has focused on a handful of concrete issues, including:
- equity in how disciplinary practices are applied,
- a long-term review of curriculum and texts,
- the creation of an elective course at the high school that examines the history of racism in America,
- ensuring that all of our students and patrons feel comfortable sharing their concerns about these issues.
The USD #348 school board acknowledges that the struggle to end racism is an ongoing effort, and one that requires constant vigilance. We are committed to addressing these issues… to ensuring that every student who attends our schools is treated fairly and equally, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability or genetic information.
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee will continue its work. We value the input of all district patrons. If you want to share your own perspective or ideas, please contact Superintendent Paul Dorathy (email@example.com) or Committee Chair, Board Member Tony Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org).